Megan Weemer, DHSc, MS
Clinical Assistant Professor
Education & Affiliations
Dr. Weemer has over 20 years of experience as a health educator with an extensive history of teaching graduate public health courses in various modalities. She has a strong commitment to creating an interactive and collaborative learner-centered environment that fosters student success. Dr. Weemer has revised, developed, and implemented numerous online public health courses at both the undergraduate and graduate level, along with significantly contributing to curriculum revisions, program assessment and accreditation at various institutions. In a previous role as a Graduate Assistant Coordinator, she mentored public health graduate students in areas such as pedagogy, scholarship, advocacy, and professionalism. She has received awards specific to excellence in teaching, including the Outstanding Graduate Assistant Teaching Award and nomination for the Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools Excellence in Teaching Award.
Dr. Weemer’s research interests focus on two primary areas: the scholarship of teaching and learning and the examination of socio-ecological factors contributing to risk and protection of adolescent and college student health. Most recently, she was part of a wellness collaborative that utilized an ecologically framed initiative to address the barriers and facilitators surrounding the physical activity, nutrition, and mental health needs of students in a large mid-western school district. In her free time, Dr. Weemer enjoys spending time with her husband and two teenage boys, along with staying physically active through running, cycling, and playing tennis.
- The scholarship of teaching and learning
- The examination of socio-ecological factors contributing to risk and protection of adolescent and college student health
Honors & Awards
- Interdisciplinary Award for Center of Civic Engagement at Illinois State University, 2022
- Featured Initiative 2022 Civic Engagement Celebration, Illinois State University, 2022.
- Outstanding Graduate Assistant Teaching Award 2017
- Outstanding Graduate Student, Department of Applied Health Sciences, Indiana State University, 2018
- Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools Excellence in Teaching Award Nominee, Department of Applied Health Sciences, Indiana State University, 2018