Funded by the HRSA Maternal and Child Health (MCH) Bureau, the Tulane CEMCH seeks to improve the health of women, infants, children, youth, and their families through development of the MCH workforce. We provide opportunities for training and experience for students at the School of Public Health, as well as current public health practitioners. Our program, guided by the twelve MCH leadership competencies, also collaborates with other members of the wider community.
Among our offerings is the CEMCH Scholar Program, which provides mentored self-development activities to help students become leaders in the field of maternal and child health. This four-semester program includes:
- Shadowing rotations
- Service outreach
- Readings and discussion
- 5-year development plan
- Mentoring meetings
- Conference opportunities
MPH students entering the MPH program in 2022:
- US Citizen or permanent resident
- Enrolled in the SBPS department
- Enrolled in the MCH program or certificate
From this four-semester program, scholars are expected to benefit from:
- Shadowing rotations with local organizations
- Community service outreach with one local organization, or mentored research, or advocacy training
- Participation in workshops for development of personal and professional skills
- Providing mini-lectures, on MCH interests and goals, to public health undergraduates
- Additional personal development activities
- Weekly group meetings and monthly individual mentoring meetings
- Support to national conferences
- Small stipend
Scholars are expected to:
- Set aside approximately 5 – 7 hours per week throughout the school year, to enable their successful completion of program requirements. This includes rotations, meetings, readings, and assignments.
- Starting Fall 2022, first-year Scholars are also expected to enroll in SBPS 6140, Development of Leadership and Communication Skills in Public Health.
- Some activities may take place virtually due to covid precautions.
To apply, submit:
- An updated resume or CV.
- A cover letter detailing your interests in the field of maternal and child health and commitment to and interest in the Scholar program.
- The application period for Fall 2022 is now closed. Contact Dr. Shokufeh Ramirez (email@example.com) with any questions or concerns.
Meet our current scholars!