A public health practicum is the opportunity to apply your classroom experience in a work setting. It is required for all students in professional master’s programs (MPH, MSPH, MPH&TM), including those with prior work experience. The practicum may be done in a variety of settings outside of the university, and it may align with future career goals.
The practicum is:
- Carefully planned, approved, and supervised practical experience
- Has has five well defined SMART objectives: Three utilizing CEPH competencies and two utilizing their program competencies
- Supervised by a qualified preceptor with public health practice experience
- Evaluated by the advisor and preceptor
Visit Inside SPHTM, which is the school's intranet, to download the Practicum Handbook and access the pre-APE Canvas site. You must use your single sign-on login credentials.
Completing the Applied Practice Experience (Practicum)
- View the Pre-APE Canvas site for practicum resources
- Plan Practicum with faculty advisor
- Submit APE application to canvas with preceptor, student, and faculty advisor signature
- Enroll in SPHL 9980
View the Fall 2022 APE Info Session.
Upon Completion of the Practicum
- Ensure the Practicum Completion form is filled out and signed by student, faculty advisor, and preceptor.
- Send student evaluation to preceptor.
- Complete the evaluation of the site and preceptor.
- Write practicum report with brief abstract. Discuss and assess your practicum experience. Attach examples of two work products in the appendices section. Please complete this three weeks prior to the last day of classes. Send to your faculty advisor for edits/approval/and signature.
- Once the practicum report is completed and approved by your faculty advisor, please submit the signed copy to Canvas.
- Compile a brief practicum presentation using the template provided in canvas.
- Ensure all documents are submitted to Canvas with signatures.
Please email Dean Susan Cheng at email@example.com or Isabella Parise at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or any questions