Tidewater (aka, "The Vertical Campus")
Part of life at the SPHTM is negotiating the "ups and downs" (a bit of elevator humor) of life in a mid–century, former office building turned academic campus. While it's a highly untraditional university setting, there are some pretty typical university amenities in the building.
Fortunately, the campus is just steps away from New Orleans' Central Business District, the health sciences district, and the historic French Quarter, so there are hundreds of other conveniences and delights in walking, biking, and riding distance.
Getting To & From Tidewater
What's Inside Tidewater?
First Floor – Park, rest, and relax
- Grab & Geaux: vending machines But you might want to know that the café’s hours are 7:00am-3:00pm Monday through Friday and it’s closed during most breaks.
- Bike racks can be found in the back of the Student Lounge (so you don’t have to park your bike on the street).
- Also in the Student Lounge: Lockers, filtered water, and game tables (pool, foosball, and video games!).
Eighth Floor –Take care of business
- Mail Services (Room 802) where you can drop off mail to be delivered or pick up departmental mail. This office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm.
- Customer Engagement Office (Room 803) This office provides a one-stop shop for parking, dining, vending, Splash Card, and facilities-related matters. (Replacing a lost ID will run you $30).
- Parking Services (The Tidewater garage is generally limited to paid parkers, but students are permitted after 5pm weekdays when they have an application on file in Parking Services and have paid a $10.00 deposit for a swipe card [paid by cash or check, refundable when relinquished]. Student cars must exit the garage by 10pm. Students with a swipe card can also access the building 6am – 6pm on weekends.)
Twelfth Floor – Study and learn
- Most (but not all) classrooms are on this floor
- Computer labs (Rooms 1214/1216/1218/1220)
- Financial Aid (Room 1213)
- Two study rooms (Room 1200 and 1205)
- Career Studio (Room 1227)
- Weight Watchers, Thursdays at noon, Room 1202
- Multipurpose room 1225 (Friday Prayers happen in this room)
- SGA Annex
Sixteenth Floor – Feed the beast
- We are all about healthy here, but sometimes you need to hit the vending machines. Both soda and snack machines available (midway down the side halls)
- The Center for Continuing Education is also located on this floor.
Eighteenth Floor – Study more, be healthy
- A quiet study area called "The Green Room" is located along the same corridor as GRIT and the PRC (Room 1819).
- There’s also a Lactation Room in room 1830, along the mid-way corridor, as well as in other university buildings.
What's Near Tidewater?
1400 Block of Canal Street
Just steps away from Tidewater are a handful of places to grab a quick bite:
- Mr. Bubbles (serves Vietnamese Bahn Mi, bubble teas, and more)
- Subway Sandwiches
- We Dat's Chicken & Shrimp (wings and more)
- Food trucks in front of SPHTM and on Tulane Avenue outside of the Med School
The Bioinnovation Center is also directly across Canal Street from Tidewater. The SPHTM occasionally uses space at Bioinnovation for meetings, etc.
1430 Tulane Avenue (SOM building)