Below are links to the Center's projects as well as a list of some publications based on that research. Researchers at the Center for Bioinformatics and Genomics have also received a number of awards for their work with the Center.
- Clinical and genetic epidemiology
- Epigenetics of muscle formation
- Epigenomics study for osteoporosis
- Functional genomics study of osteoporosis
- Genetics and epigenetics of aging and osteoarthritis
- Genetics and genomics study of osteoporosis
- Genetic association studies
- Molecular and functional biology of osteoporosis
- Multiscale bioimaging informatics
- Protein and proteomics
- Statistical methods in biological and biomedical sciences
Publications in 2011:
- Liu HB, Zhang RR, Chen D, Oyajibo OB, Zhao M. (2011) Functional Redundancy of Type II BMP Receptor and Type IIB Activin Receptor in BMP2-Induced Osteoblast Differentiation. J. Cell. Physiol. DOI:10.1002/jcp.22802.
- Liu HB, Zhang RR, Ko SY, Oyajobi OB, Papasian JC, Deng HW, Zhao M. (2011) Microtubule assembly affects bone mass by regulating both osteoblast and osteoclast functions, -- Stathmin deficiency produces an osteopenic phenotype in mice. J. Bone Miner. Res. DOI: 10.1002/jbmr.419.
- Zhang RR, Edwards JR, Ko SY, Dong SS, Liu HB, Oyajobi OB, Papasian JC, Deng HW, Zhao M. (2011) Transcriptional regulation of BMP2 expression by the PTH-CREB signaling pathway in osteoblasts. PLoS ONE. 6: e20780.
- Zhang R, Lu SM, Qiu C, Liu XG, Gao CG, Guo TW, Valenzuela RK, Deng HW, Ma J. (2011) Population-based and family-based association studies of ZNF804A locus and schizophrenia. Mol Psychiatry. 16:360-1
- Zhang Y, Papasian CJ, Deng HW. (2011) Alteration of vitamin D metabolic enzyme expression and calcium transporter abundance in kidney involved in type 1 diabetes-induced bone loss. Osteoporos Int. 22:1781-8.
- Chen Y, Liu YJ, Pei YF, Yang TL, Deng FY, Liu XG, Li DY, Deng HW. (2011) Copy Number Variations at the Prader-Willi Syndrome Region on Chromosome 15 and associations with Obesity in Whites. Obesity (Silver Spring). 19:1229-34.
- Zhang F, Guo X, Deng HW. (2011) Multilocus association testing of quantitative traits based on partial least-squares analysis. PLoS One. 6:e16739.
- Sheng J, Deng HW, Calhoun V, Wang YP. (2011) Integrated Analysis of Gene Expression and Copy Number Data on Gene Shaving using Independent Component Analysis. IEEE/ACM Trans Comput Biol Bioinform. 2011 Apr 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Yang TL, Guo Y, Liu YJ, Shen H, Liu YZ, Lei SF, Li J, Tian Q, Deng HW. (2011) Genetic variants in the SOX6 gene are associated with bone mineral density in both Caucasian and Chinese populations. Osteoporos Int. 2011 Apr 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lin Y, Li J, Shen H, Zhang L, Papasian CJ, Deng HW. (2011) Comparative Studies of de novo Assembly Tools for Next-generation Sequencing Technologies. Bioinformatics. 2011 Jun 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Li GH, Deng HW, Kung AW, Huang QY. (2011) Identification of genes for bone mineral density variation by computational disease gene identification strategy. J Bone Miner Metab. 2011 Jun 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tan LJ, Liu SL, Lei SF, Papasian CJ, Deng HW. (2011) Molecular genetic studies of gene identification for sarcopenia. Hum Genet. 2011 Jun 26. [Epub ahead of print]
Grants and Awards
- New Grant (2011) Ladies Leukemia League and Tulane Cancer Center Grant: Bioinformatics technique for accurate subtype classification of myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) for Principal Investigator Dr. Yu-Ping Wang (Total funding: $50,000)
- Graduate student Shaolong Cao was selected as an oral presentation of ASHG 2013. He also received a travel award from NSF support for ACM Conference on Bioinformatics, Computational Biology and Biomedical Informatics (ACM BCB), September 2013.
- Graduate student Rongrong Zhang received "Young Investigator Travel Award" of American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR) 2013 Annual Meeting.
- A graduate student, Yu Zhou, received scholarship to attend the 18th Summer Institute in Statistical Genetics (SISG 2013) and the 5th Summer Institute in Statistics and Modeling in Infectious Diseases (SISMID 2013).
- Dr. Lei Zhang has received "2013 Health Sciences Research Days Award for Excellence in Research and Presentation" for his study on multi-stage Genome-Wide association meta-analyses.
- Dr. Jigang Zhang is a recipient of a 2011 ASHG Trainee Research Semifinalist Award. His abstract was reviewed by the Scientific Program Committee and was selected as one of 79 out of nearly 450 trainee submissions.
- Dr. Fei-Yan Deng has received "2011 ASBMR Young Investigator Travel Grant" for her outstanding research on "Peripheral Blood Monocyte-Expressed Anxa2 Gene Is Involved in Pathogenesis of Osteoporosis in Humans."
- Dr. Hongbin Liu has received "2011 ASBMR Young Investigator Travel Grant" for his outstanding research on "Microtubule contribution to osteoclastogenesis, -- low bone mass phenotype of stathmin deficient mice."
- Xiaojing Xu has received "2011 ASBMR Young Investigator Travel Grant" for her outstanding research on "DNA methylation levels of CYP2R1 and CYP24A1 predict vitamin D dose-response variation."