Tulane Home Tulane Shield logo linking to site home page

tracking code

Requirements for I-20

Before entering the United States, an international student or scholar must have a passport issued by their government and a visa to enter the United States. The visa application will require, among other things, a visa document Form I-20 (DS-2019). In order to process the initial paperwork for your I-20, we need the following information:

  1. Name as it appears on your passport (Last name, Middle name, First name)
  2. Date of birth (Month, Day, Year)
  3. Place of birth (City, State, Country)
  4. Country of citizenship
  5. Address in home country (Cannot be a post office box)
  6. Telephone number in home country
  7. Preferred mailing address and telephone number
  8. Sex and marital status
  9. Email address

We will also need the following documentation:

  1. A copy of your passport
  2. If you are currently in the United States, please provide a copy of your current visa and the name and address of the institution you are currently attending in the United States.
  3. If you will be bringing a dependent (i.e. spouse or child), please provide all applicable documents listed above.
  4. Please download and fill in the Declaration and Certification of Finances form and required supporting financial documents.

Please send the required documentation to sphtminternational@tulane.edu or mail to:

Office of Admissions
Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
1440 Canal St., Suite 2460 #8329
New Orleans, LA 70112-2715
phone: 504.988.0908
toll free: 800.676.5389

Please do not send your documents earlier than the following dates, and make sure bank statements submitted are no more than two months old:

  • If starting Fall semester, do not send documents before March 1st.
  • If starting Spring semester, do not send documents before September 1st.
  • If starting Summer semester, do not send documents before January 1st.

Please bear in mind that once you receive your I-20, there may be a delay in making a visa appointment with the embassy in your home country. All normal academic deadlines will apply. Please contact us if you have any questions of concerns about timing.