Department Global Community Health and Behavioral Sciences
Global Community Health and Behavioral Sciences considers the social determinants of health to improve the health of populations and to reduce health disparities and inequities. Students obtain strong skills for the planning, design, implementation, communication, and evaluation of preventive strategies and interventions at the community level. Students also obtain skills in monitoring and evaluation to assess the effectiveness of programs and understand the impact of cultural diversity on communities in a global context.
The Department of Global Community Health and Behavioral Sciences offers the following degrees:
- The MPH in Community Health Sciences is a professional degree that focuses on developing knowledge and skills to work with communities in addressing health needs and health disparities, and improving quality of life. Available in on ground and online formats.
- The MPH in Health Education and Communication is a professional degree that develops educational and communication strategies to promote healthy behaviors and reduce risk factors for disease in individuals and communities.
- The MPH in International Health and Development is a professional degree that prepares students to address global health issues in low-income developing counties.
- The MPH in Maternal and Child Health is a professional degree that focuses on women’s health issues before, during, and after pregnancy and on children’s health from birth through adolescence in both domestic and global settings.
- The MPH in Nutrition is a professional degree that addresses the nutrition of individuals, households, and communities through complex issues related to the overabundance of food (obesity) and the lack of it (hunger) from behavioral, environmental, and socio-economic viewpoints.
- The MPH in Social, Behavioral, and Population Sciences, launching Fall 2021, will be a professional degree in basic and applied public health program development, evaluation, and research to promote health equity.
- The PhD in Global Community Health and Behavioral Sciences is an academic doctoral degree that provides students with a strong theoretical knowledge of health promotion and behavioral change along with research methodologies and analytical skills. This degree will become the PhD in Social, Behavioral, and Population Sciences starting Fall 2021.
Community health is a choice for those who would like to work with people and have a desire to improve the health of people in communities and serve as community advocates. Within the community health context, students may pursue their interest in: promoting healthy behaviors, women’s and children’s health, international settings, or nutrition and food security.
This field appeals to those with a background in the social and behavioral sciences, undergraduate public heath, biological sciences, communications, and liberal arts and sciences, as well as those who like working with communities locally and globally.
Graduates work in community-based settings as health educators, in policy and advocacy, and in health promotion and education at community organizations and public health agencies. They also serve in healthcare organizations and wellness programs in the public and private sector, domestically and abroad.