The Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine is part of Tulane University, a highly regarded and selective independent research university.
The school is often referred to as Tulane SPHTM, an initialism of the school name. Click on the sections below to find out why we are considered a Strong, Vibrant, Dynamic, and Successful school of public health.
- Founded in 1912, Tulane SPHTM is the oldest school of public health in the U.S.
- We remain the only American combined school of public health and tropical medicine.
- We were the first school of public health to offer mid-career distance learning programs.
- Fun Facts: We had the first female dean, of a school of public health, and our founding dean was a true Renaissance man.
- We are located in New Orleans, a world-renown city, among the best for food, the most dynamic, and one of the most generous.
- The SPHTM building is conveniently located downtown, steps from the French Quarter and Central Business District and on the downtown streetcar line.