Prospective Student FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions



What is the minimum GRE score required for admission?

On the new scale, we require scores in the upper percentiles.On the old scale, we require a combined score of at least 1000.

How long are GRE scores valid?

GRE scores are valid for five years.

What is the minimum GPA required for admission?

A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required.

Can I apply if I have an associate's degree?

No, you must have at least a bachelor’s degree.

Is there a requirement to have a background in science or engineering when applying for the MSPH degree?

There are no pre-requisite requirements for our Master degrees.

Is there a requirement to have a background in public health when applying for the MPH degree?

We accept students with a wide variety of academic and work backgrounds. It is not required that MPH candidates have academic or work experience in public health.

Return to Top



Where can I find the application?

All applicants must apply through the centralized application system:

What is the application deadline?

We function on a rolling admissions schedule for all Master’s programs. Doctoral candidates seeking funding must apply by December 1st of the year prior to their desired start date. Doctoral candidates not seeking funding should apply by January 15th. Students seeking admission to the BSPH-MPH combined degree program must apply by September 15th if the desired start date is January, or by March 15th if the desired start date is August.

Do you offer spring admission?

Yes, we do offer Spring Admission.

Do you offer summer admission?

Yes, we do offer Summer Admission.

What should be in my “career statement”?

In your career statement, you should tell us about your strengths, your passion for public health and your future career goals. We strongly recommend having at least two people proof read your statement before you submit it.

What is the application fee? Can it be waived? charges an application fee for every school you choose to apply. Cost starts at $120, however there is a fee waiver program.  Please access more information at the SOPHAS FAQ page:

Tulane SPHTM does not have a secondary application, or any additional application fee.

What will Tulane evaluate when considering my application for admission?

The Tulane SPHTM will evaluate all of your application materials when considering your application for admission. There is no one area that is emphasized.  The application is reviewed as a whole.

How many letters of recommendation should I submit, and who should they be from?

You should have at least three letters of recommendation. Ideally, two should be academic references and one should be a professional reference.

Are extracurricular activities or part-time employment considered in the evaluation of the application?

Although it is optional to include extracurricular activities and part-time employment in the application, if submitted, these components will be evaluated by the review committees.

Are interviews required?

Only the Master in Health Administration (MHA) program in Global Health Management and Policy Department requires an interview. This is usually a telephone interview.

Where do I send my application materials?

All application materials will be submitted directly to, except for the International English Language Testing System score report (IELTS) or the Education Credential Evaluators (ECE) evaluation report for foreign transcripts. Have the issuing agency send these documents directly to SPHTM Admissions, 1440 Canal Street, Suite 2460, New Orleans, LA 70112

How do I check on the status of my application?

You can contact the Office of Admissions at (504) 988-5388 or email us at:

How many applications do you receive?

The number varies from year to year, but we typically receive around 1,100 applications per academic year.  

Return to Top




How long will it take to get an admission decision?

The processing times for graduate applicants to receive an admissions decision varies by the department of their major. Graduate applicants should contact the department of their major for processing times.

How will Tulane notify me of its decision regarding my application?

You will receive and email and a letter in the mail notifying you if you have been accepted into one of our programs.

Typically, what kind of credentials should an individual have in order to get an offer of admission?

Tulane SPHTM does not require prior work or academic experience in public health for the Master’s programs. Applicants should meet the minimum requirements for GPA and GRE scores.

Can I reapply if I am denied admission? How do I reapply?

Yes, you can reapply if you are denied admission. We ask that you submit new SOPHAS application in the following cycle at:

Return to Top




What are the tuition and other expenses?

You will be billed on a per-credit hour basis. For more information about tuition and fees, please visit this website:

Will my chances for admission be affected if I apply for financial aid?

No, your decision to apply for financial aid will not affect your chance at admission to any of Tulane SPHTM’s programs.

How do I apply for financial aid and what is the FAFSA?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application for all federal and state aid programs. You can apply for FAFSA, by visiting this website:

Where do I find the FAFSA and when should I complete it?    

You may fill out your FAFSA beginning January the academic year in which you will begin.  For example, if you matriculate in Spring 2014, you may begin filling out your FAFSA in January 2013 for the 2013-2014 academic year.  If you matriculate in Fall 2014, you may fill out your FAFSA in January 2014 for the 2014-2015 academic year. Access the form at:

Do you offer a part-time program?

Yes, students can take courses on a part time basis.

Return to Top




How do I prepare for graduate school?

Successful preparation for graduate school involves a lot of thought, some research, and careful planning of your undergraduate course of study.

Is there on-campus housing?

Deming Pavilion, located at 204 S. Saratoga St. is our on-campus housing. Please visit the website:

Another housing option is the Papillon Apartments:

You may wish to visit the student operated Off-Campus Residents Association’s (OCRA) website to view housing options:

What is covered by the student health insurance?  How do I get accurate information regarding student health insurance?

Please check the Downtown Student Health website for information regarding student insurance:

Can you verify student’s credentials for employment?

Please see the following website to direct your inquiry:

Return to Top




Do you offer funding or scholarships to international students?

International students usually secure their own funding. Overall, departments have some funding on the doctoral level which they disseminate at their own discretion. You may check with the department of your interest for more information about funding opportunities.

What programs can international students apply to?

International students can apply to any of our programs. There are no restrictions placed on what program international students may apply to.

What is the process for the I-20 documentation?

The I-20 process usually takes five business days after we receive all required documents.The form will be sent to you through FedEx Express delivery. You can find more information about I-20 requirements on this page:

How can I learn more about financial aid for international students?

Our school can offer federal funding to U.S. permanent residents and U.S. citizens in the form of student loans. International students usually obtain funding from family or outside sources. Visit this page for more information:

If I have a degree from an English-speaking country, do I still need to submit a TOEFL?

If an applicant has a Bachelor's or Master's degree from a school in an English-speaking country, then the applicant does not need to submit a TOEFL.

Return to Top




1440 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 504-988-5388 or 800-676-5389