Social impacts of AIDS; technology and society; population-environmental-development
- BS, Stanford University, California
- PhD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 1993-8 Pre-doctoral Trainee, Carolina Population Center
- 1994 Tinker Foundation pre-dissertation fieldwork grant
- 1994-present Population Association of America (PAA) 2006 Promise in Research, Tulane SPHTM
- 1995 Mellon Foundation grant for pre-dissertation fieldwork
- 1995-present Member, Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning (ASCP)
- 1996-7 Foreign Language and Area Study Fellowship
- 1996-present Member, Section leader, Latin American Studies Association (LASA),
- 2001-present Executive Committee, Stone Center for Latin American Studies, Tulane
- 2002 Grantee, Tulane Innovative Learning Center Faculty Teaching Support
- 2002-present Member, Association of Applied Anthropology
- 2003 Member, American Association of Geographers (AAG),
- 2004 Teaching Award, Graduate Latin American Student Association, Tulane University
- 2005 Tablet PC for Innovations in Teaching, Innovative Learning Center, Tulane University
- 2008 Recipient of "President's Award for Excellence in Graduate and Professional School Teaching," Tulane University
- Nominee, ASPH/Pfizer award for excellence in teaching in school of public health
- 2008 Recipient of Tulane SPHTM Dean's "Teaching Scholar" Award
Murphy, Laura. 2008. "AIDS and Kitchen Gardens: Insights from a Village in Western Kenya." Journal of Population and Environment. Special Issue: HIV/AIDS and the Environment. Volume 29, Numbers 3-5, 2008
Murphy, Laura, Paul Harvey and Eva Silvestre. 2005. "How do we know what we know about AIDS impacts in rural Africa: evidence from field studies" Human Organization. Vol 64, No 3 2005 pp 265-275
Pichón, Francisco, Catherine Marquette, Laura Murphy and Richard Bilsborrow. 2002. "Choice and Constraint in the Making of the Amazon Frontier: Settler Land Use Decisions and Environmental Change in Ecuador." In Wood (et al eds.) Land Use and Deforestation in the Amazon. Gainesville: University of Florida. (Chapters were peer-reviewed for inclusion)
Murphy, Laura. 2001. "Colonist Farm Income, Cattle, Off-farm Work and Differentiation in the Northern Ecuadorian Amazon," Human Organization, Spring 2001.
Laurian, Lucie, Richard Bilsborrow and Laura Murphy. 1998. "Migration Decisions Among Settler Families in the Ecuadorian Amazon: the Second Generation," in Research in Rural Sociology and Development: Focus on Migration. Vol. 7 (Summer, 1998): 169-196.
Murphy, Laura, Richard Bilsborrow and Francisco Pichón. "Poverty and Prosperity among Migrant Settlers in the Amazon Rainforest Frontier of Ecuador," Journal of Development Studies. Vol. 34 (December, 1997), No. 2, pp. 35-65.
Thapa, Keshari, Richard Bilsborrow and Laura Murphy. 1996. "Deforestation, Land Use and Women's Agricultural Activities in the Ecuadorian Amazon." World Development. Vol. 24 (1996), No. 8, pp. 1317-1332.
Level of Instruction:
[ View all Global Health Systems and Development Faculty ]